If you or any of the people you are serving happen to be lactose-intolerant, this recipe is free of dairy products
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sunflower or canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger or grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped roasted walnuts
- 1 cup raisins or diced dried apricots
- 4 tbsp apple juice (for glaze
- 4 tbsp sugar (for glaze)
- Grease a 9×13“ baking pan with shortening, then dust it with flour.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175
- In a large bowl beat the sugar, oil, and eggs with an egg whisk until well blended.
- Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt by sifting them together into the egg, sugar and oil mixture. Stir until well blended.
- Stir in the carrots, walnuts and raisins or apricots.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread to fill the pan evenly.
- Bake approximately 45-50 minutes, rotating the pan 180º halfway through. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Place the pan on a rack to cool.
- For the glaze, boil the apple juice and sugar together in a small saucepan, stirring frequently, until it reaches a full rolling boil and bubbles cover the surface. Lightly brush the surface of the cake with the resulting syrup while the cake is still hot.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before serving.
- This recipe will also make 24 muffins. Or, you can reduce the ingredients by half to make a dozen muffins. Muffins will bake in about half the time as the cake.