Swimming pools are fun for everyone but you need to be aware of entrapment dangers! Avoid Entrapment!
Always Follow These Important Rules
- Never play or swim near drains or suction fittings. If a cover is not compliant, or is loose or broken, your body or hair may be trapped causing permanent injury or drowning.
- Never enter a pool or spa that has a loose, broken, or missing suction fitting or drain cover.
- Immediately notify the pool/spa owner or operator if you find a loose, broken, or missing drain cover. In such a case the pool or spa should be closed and an industry professional should make the necessary repair or replacement.
Take these 3 Steps to Keep Your Pool, Spa, or Hot Tub Safe and Free from Entrapment Risk
1. Have your pool or spa inspected by a licensed industry professional.
2. There is no backup for a broken, missing or inadequate cover. Replace any broken, missing or non complaint covers with covers that are marked: “VGB2008,” “ASME/ANSI A112.19.8-2007” or show the swimmer logo.
- Hair: Hair can become entangled in an improperly covered drain.
- Limbs: Arms or legs can get lodged and may not be able to be pulled free from an improperly covered drain, even if the pumps are turned off.
- Body: Any part of the body that covers a drain can be held down by the suction, never sit on a drain.
- Evisceration: Sitting on a drain with suction or a broken or missing cover can cause injuries or disembowelment.
- Mechanical: Fingers. toes, and items such as jewelry or a bathing suit can become entangled and stuck in a non-compliant drain or cover.
3. Pools or spas with a single main drain require additional protection. A good majority of pools built in Costa Rica have only one main drain. Options include:
- Eliminating the drain or reversing the flow
- Adding a second, properly spaced outlet
- Installing an SVRS (safety vacuum release system)
- Installing an automatic pump shut-off system
- Installing a suction limiting vent system
- Adding a gravity drainage system
Information provide by: Costa Rica Pools & Construction-located in Quepos-2777-1700 (across the street from the futball field next to Sansa) and in Uvita-2743-8200 (in the Dome Plaza across from Bridgestone), [email protected]